Careers Within AUSL
AUSL creates schools of excellence by developing highly effective teachers and transforming educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools. AUSL staff work across the organization to support our schools and teacher training efforts with coaches, tutors, recruiters, and other administrative roles.
AUSL employees are employed by AUSL (not by the Board of Education as CPS employees are) and work from various schools in the AUSL network. AUSL is an equal opportunity employer.
Current AUSL Career Opportunities
View our current openings on the online application portal. >
Job ID: 413
Director of Human Resources
Date Posted: 02/01/2017
Location: 3400 North Austin Avenue, Chicago ILPosition Summary
AUSL seeks an experienced, innovative, and effective Director of Human Resources. As AUSL’s most senior HR executive, the Director will be responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of Human Resources policies, procedures, systems and initiatives to enable AUSL to accomplish its mission and to increase the effectiveness and engagement of AUSL’s employees, trainees, and management. The successful candidate will have a passion for improving K-12 education, a desire to work in the nonprofit sector, and strong and broad Human Resources experience.
AUSL (Academy for Urban School Leadership) is a nonprofit school management organization operating in partnership with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS). Our mission is to create schools of excellence by developing highly effective teachers and transforming educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools. Founded in 2001, AUSL manages 31 CPS schools serving nearly18,000 students. For more information about AUSL, visit auslchicago.org. The work location for this position is 3400 N. Austin Avenue, Chicago IL, and no travel outside the city of Chicago is required.
- Responsible for Human Resources activities in support of AUSL’s 70+ employees, plus 70 participants each year who are recruited and trained in AUSL’s one-year Chicago Teacher Residency program
- Report to AUSL’s Managing Director, Strategy & Operations; supervise HR Generalist and HR Administrator; collaborate closely with AUSL’s Directors of Finance and Recruiting
- Provide Human Resources expertise and counsel to AUSL’s senior management, managers, and recruitment staff, including support for compensation, performance management, hiring/terminations, and employee and organizational development
- Manage relationships and ensure effective service from AUSL’s external HR Business Partner (benefits, HRIS, payroll, FMLA) and other HR vendors
- Provide leadership and direction to innovate and continuously improve policies, processes, systems, and benefits
- Maintain knowledge of employment and benefits laws and regulations, and ensures AUSL’s compliance.
- Support managers and employees with HR counseling, conflict resolution, and investigations to foster a workplace environment consistent with AUSL’s values and mission
- Identify and manage employment-related risks; serve as liaison with outside legal counsel and governmental agencies as needed
- Ensure AUSL is an ‘employer of choice’ and attracts, develops, and retains staff across all levels and functions.
- Ensure staff develop the necessary abilities to excel in their roles and advance the organization.
- Manage the necessary infrastructure and processes in service of talent strategy and priorities.
- Participate in and/or manage projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. A Master's degree in Human Resources or Business, as well as SPHR or PHR certification, are desireabe.
- 10+ years of Human Resources experience, including management experience and at least 2 years in a senior HR role. Experience as the top HR executive with a mid-sized enterprise is desirable
- Knowledge of employment and benefits laws and regulations (AUSL is a non-union employer); experience working with outside legal counsel
- Outstanding problem-solving, analysis, writing, project management, and influencing skills; excellent attention to detail, strategic thinking, judgment and decision-making ability
- Encourages open discussion of different ideas and views; maintains strong relationships and communicates effectively at all levels of the organization
- Trustworthy, ethical, and service-oriented; maintains confidentiality and fairness. Balances advocacy for employees with AUSL’s needs
- Committed to diversity and to AUSL’s mission.
- Gets things done.
How to Apply
To apply: go to http://auslchicago.org/about/careers and scroll down to select this position, apply online, and upload your resume and cover letter. AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job ID: 483
Date Posted: 10/23/2016
Location: The Chicago Academy/AUSL Main OfficeAUSL (Academy for Urban School Leadership) is a nonprofit school management organization that creates schools of excellence by developing highly effective teachers and transforming educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools in Chicago. AUSL’s network includes 31 schools serving 18,000 students. AUSL seeks a highly qualified candidate with keen attention to detail, strong analytical and organizational skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to perform the role of Student Support and Teacher Development Analyst supporting AUSL’s Director of Performance Management.
- Analyze and present data on a wide range of school and student performance indicators, including but not limited to School Culture and Climate, Attendance, and Student Behavior
- Lead analysis of data related to Chicago Teacher Residency (CTR), including both retention and CTR-graduate effectiveness after residency year
- Develop and maintain system for tracking teachers across the AUSL network (current staff rosters, content and grade level assignments, recent performance data, teacher retention)
- Manage the sharing of knowledge and documents with school and network stakeholders
- Additional data support for the Director of Performance Management as needed
- Data crunching and visualization skills – strong proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint a must
- Superior organizational/project management skills and attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities, combined with a “Can Do, Will Do” approach and a Team Player attitude
- Ability to communicate and build trusting relationships with a broad cross-section of stakeholders
- Presentation and group facilitation skills/experience desired
- Familiarity with statistical analysis platforms – Stata, R, Tableau, etc.- useful but not required
The position is a full-time, year-round position. No overnight travel is required; all work takes place at various AUSL schools in the city of Chicago. The main work location for this position is 3400 N Austin Ave, Chicago.
Job ID: 491
AUSL Chicago Teacher Residency Program Mentor-Resident Coach
Date Posted: 08/10/2016
Mentor-Resident Coach – AUSL Chicago Teacher Residency Program
AUSL is a nonprofit school management organization partnering with Chicago Public Schools to train teachers for positions in high-needs schools in the growing network of CPS schools managed by AUSL (currently 31 elementary and high schools). At AUSL, it is our mission to improve student achievement in Chicago’s high-poverty, chronically failing schools. The Chicago Teacher Residency (CTR) is a full-time, yearlong urban teacher training program that equips residents with the training, skills, and practices to improve student learning outcomes. In one year, AUSL’s residents earn a Master’s degree and their Illinois PEL, while also obtaining experience in the classroom of a mentor teacher, four days a week for a full year. For more information about AUSL, go to http://www.auslchicago.org
The CTR seeks experienced educators to be a Mentor-Resident Coach (MRC) at a teacher Training Site within the AUSL Network. An MRC is a site-based coach and the CTR’s program leader at an assigned school. The MRC is primarily responsible for coaching and supporting a residency cohort of 10 to 15 future teachers, along with their experienced mentor teachers. MRCs also partner with Training Site administration to develop other teachers and staff.
Develop and deliver structured, high-quality professional development to residents and mentors
Use a repertoire of strategies for adult learners including real-time, side-by-side classroom coaching, co-planning and co-teaching of lessons, modeling of best practice strategies, analysis of student work, and classroom observation & feedback to improve teacher practices
Monitor resident growth and development using Danielson’s Framework for Teaching, the CTR Expectations Matrix, Rubrics, and Cycle Scorecards
Participate in the resident selection process for the upcoming school year, including Saturday Selection Days
Participate in projects with AUSL’s university partners to foster and enhance alignment between the residency and master’s degree programs
Demonstrate proficient use of Google Tools, including Google Calendar and Drive applications including Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms
Participate on school Instructional Leadership Team (ILT), facilitate grade-band cluster meetings, and assist principals with professional development for school staff
Deliver professional development to teachers using AUSL-designed professional development content
Conduct classroom observations and provide actionable and manageable feedback to accelerate teacher development
Master’s degree or above, in an education-related field
Illinois teaching certificate and at least 4 years of teaching experience, either K-8 or 9-12 or a combination
Experience working in high-needs, urban schools
A visionary and passionate spirit, with a deep commitment to public education and serving the needs of teachers, students, and families in high needs communities on the south and westside of Chicago
Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills particularly suited for working with adult learners
Skills and experience coaching teachers in planning, classroom management, and instructional practices
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Excellent organizational and time management skills
Ability to problem-solve and to create organizational structures that facilitate efficient systems
Candidates who are currently CPS employees will become full-time AUSL employees, with AUSL salary and benefits.
AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about AUSL, go to http://www.ausl-chicago.org/.