Chicago Teacher Residency
High quality, well-trained, effective teachers have the greatest impact on student learning in the classroom. AUSL’s Chicago Teacher Residency teacher training and certification program is the leading urban teaching training program in the country developing highly effective teachers for the challenging urban environment.
The Chicago Teacher Residency is a one-year, hands-on, urban teacher training where students practice and master signature strategies by working with a Mentor Teacher at one of AUSL’s training sites. As a Resident you will develop your craft and truly become an excellent urban educator for the children who need the highest quality teachers. All residents earn a Master’s degree, either a M.A.T. or an M.Ed. (for residents who are already certified with a bachelor’s degree in education) from National Louis University.
After the training year, graduates commit to teach in Chicago Public Schools (CPS) for at least four years.
A Full School Year of Training
A full school year of training in a Chicago Public Schools classroom, under the guidance of an experienced mentor teacher.
A Masters Degree
A Master’s degree from National Louis University and eligibility for Illinois teaching certification.
Financial support for the training year, including a $30,000 salary ($40,000 for Mathematics) and eligibility for an AmeriCorps Education Award.
Post-Training Job Placement
Post-training job placement opportunity as a Chicago Public Schools teacher, working in an AUSL-managed elementary or high school.
- Classroom: Residency in the classroom of an experienced Mentor teacher
- Education: Earn Master’s Degree from NLU
- Salary: $30,000 (or $40,000 for math)
- Support: Mentor Teacher, Mentor Resident Coach, Cohort
- Classroom: Your own classroom! Graduates are employed as full-time CPS teachers in a high-needs school
- Salary: Earn over $50,000, plus pension and benefits, as a Chicago Public Schools Master’s degree teacher, Board of Education employee
- Support: Ongoing professional development, coaching and support from AUSL school-based coaches, cohort of fellow resident graduates, Professional Learning Communities